Planned Over Potatoes
Potato Knishes or Borekas
1) To every two cups of Planned Over Smashed Potatoes, add one chopped, sautéed onion and one beaten egg (save 1 teaspoon of the egg to brush top of pastry before baking).
2) Roll out puff pastry dough and cut into 5"x 5" rectangles. Place a 1/3 cup mound of filling in the middle of each rectangle, fold dough to cover, sealing with a dab of water.
3) Place on greased baking pan. Brush with the reserved beaten egg and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 30 minutes until puffed and golden. Makes about 6 servings.
Mashed or Smashed Potato Pancakes
1) Mix: 2 cups Planned Over Potatoes, mashed, 1 egg, 3-4 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon dried onion, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. (Optional leftover fresh herbs if you have them, don't let'em go to waste!)
2) Heat a large skillet with 2 tablespoons oil over medium flame.
3) Drop mixture by tablespoons into hot oil. Brown on both sides and continue cooking until firm.
4) Drain on paper towels and serve warm with applesauce or salsa.
Kids Love Salmon Burgers
1) To a (15 ounce) can red salmon add 1-2 cups cold Planned Over Potatoes, mashed, 1/4 cup matzo meal or breadcrumbs, 1 egg, 1/2 onion, finely chopped, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and mix well.
2) Shape into patties. If the mixture is loose, refrigerate for 30 minutes and continue.
3) Heat a large skillet with 2 tablespoons oil over medium flame. Brown patties in hot oil on both sides and continue cooking until firm.
Serve on soft hamburger buns with your favorite condiments.